General Pool Rules
- Parents are responsible for the safety of their children.
- Lifeguards are on duty at the indoor and outdoor pools only and have final authority on pool usage and safety issues.
- Please adhere to all posted signs in pool and whirlpool areas.
- Members swim at their own risk.
- Anyone with a special medical condition must alert staff and the lifeguard-on-duty prior to entering the pool.
- Take all safety precautions when using the pool and whirlpool.
- Showers are recommended before entering the pools or spas.
- Walk on the pool deck at all times.
- No excessive horseplay or rough housing.
- No food, glass or glass objects are permitted around the whirlpool or indoor pool at any time.
- No glass or glass objects are permitted by outdoor pool.
- Possession and consumption of alcohol in any form is not allowed on PJCC premises, see policy on page 3.
- No gum allowed in the pool or on the pool deck.
- Enter the water feet first. No diving, back jumps or “twisty” jumps. Jumping from the edge of the pool is not permitted in the indoor pool due to the raised edge.
- Babies may not be left in stroller or car seats unattended.
- No hanging on lane lines, ladders or railings. Lane lines are to be used only as safety lines in case of an emergency.
- Bathing suits are required. Please no bathing suits with built-in floatation. These suits give a false sense of security while in the water. No street clothes, cut-offs, see-through swimsuits, thong bikinis or regular diapers allowed.
- Please use benches or towel hooks to hang towels. Do not hang towels on hand rails or lifeguard equipment.
- No cell phone use is allowed on the indoor pool deck or whirlpool. See page 3 “Cell Phones and Cameras” for general guidelines.
- Inappropriate behavior and language will not be permitted.
- Limit use of lotions in the indoor pool or apply at least 15 minutes prior to swimming.
- Kiddie Pool: There is no lifeguard on duty at the kiddie pool. Children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Pools and whirlpools may be closed for maintenance or safety reasons at any time at the discretion of PJCC staff.
- Outside trainers are not allowed. All exercise instruction and private training is to be given by PJCC staff only.
Open Swim is designed to provide a safe, fun environment for members and their guests to enjoy the pool together.
- Children 6 years of age and under or any child not able to fully swim on their own must be accompanied and supervised in the water at all times by an adult or Member over 16 years of age.
- Children 7 years of age and older may swim by themselves, but a parent MUST be in the facility. Lifeguards may use discretion in the enforcement of this rule. It is the parent’s responsibility to remain with a child who is a poor swimmer, irrespective of age.
- No diving. Both pools are too shallow to dive safely.
- Children 3 years of age and under or children not fully potty-trained must wear nylon swim diapers, which can be purchased at the BAC desk or in most stores. These diapers are reusable and washable. Huggies disposable swim diapers have a tendency to leak and are not permitted.
- Some toys, floatation devices and equipment may be allowed during open swim. This rule is up to the discretion of the lifeguard based on the number of participants in the pool.
- Due to health and safety concerns please do not bring in any toys from home.
- Swim lesson teaching equipment use is not permitted during open swim times.
- Kick boards may be used during open swim, but please no sitting on or standing on kick boards.
Lap swim is designed to be a workout time for adult members and their guests.
- Lap swimmers must be at least 13 years of age or able to swim the full length of the pool (25 yards) continuously for 4 laps without stopping.
- Water exercises, water walking, and floating are not permitted except during designated or non-busy times.
- Kick boards, pull buoys and fins may be available for use.
- Circle swim (counter clockwise) when there are more than two swimmers per lane.
- Maximum of six swimmers per lane.
- Choose the lane that best fits your ability before entering the water. Make sure to alert any swimmer in your lane before entering the water. Lifeguards may move swimmers accordingly to ensure safety.
- When passing a swimmer in your lane, tap the swimmer in front of you on the foot. Pass only when they have stopped at the wall. When tapped, please allow the faster swimmer to pass.
- Be alert to the lane lines when they are being added or removed from the pool. There may be a delay in the pool schedule between changing activities.
Locker Room Guidelines
- Day-use lockers are available free of charge while in the Byer Athletic Center only. Limited long-term rental lockers are available on a fee basis.
- Items left overnight in day-use lockers will be removed. The PJCC assumes no responsibility for items left in day-use lockers.
- Children 3 years of age and older are not permitted in opposite sex locker rooms and should use the family changing rooms with parent or supervising adult.
- Family changing rooms are for members with disabilities and for children 3 – 12 years of age with caregivers of a different gender.
- Children 12 years of age and under must be supervised by an adult in the locker room unless registered in supervised activities while using the facilities.
- Please leave valuables at home. The PJCC is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Call 378.2703 for Lost and Found.
- Disabled members have first priority in disabled showers. Be considerate of other members waiting for showers and limit usage to five minutes.
- Hair dyeing is not permitted in locker rooms or shower areas.
- Food is not permitted in the locker rooms.